These #covid days, we think twice about going out to eat or buy food. Cases are on the rise and despite #stayhome advisories, people still throng the heartlands as their need to forage for food outweighs the fear of the virus.
So, faced with the task of heading out or eating another egg for my #low-carb lunch, I decided to re-try this 90-second Keto bread recipe. I made it sometime back and was put off by the overpowering eggy taste and smell. It was also pretty dry after toasting so I never really made it again after the near choking incident. However, owing to the stayhome situation, I decided to give this recipe a stab again (since I still have my almond flour and that’s about it). Digging through my provisions unearthed a bottle of Ayam Brand Otah Tuna spread (1.5g carbs in 1/3 jar) which I figured I could pair with the bread.
I am happy to report that I have now stumbled upon a new favourite combo of the 90 sec Keto bread + fried egg overeasy + otah tuna spread + tomato. Best of all, it is so quick and easy to put together; no forward planning needed at all! I have since assembled this many times and each has been a happy and fulfilling meal. I modified the recipe by adding half teaspoon of Lakanto sugar substitute and 1 teaspoon of flaxseed meal to give it some taste and texture. Lightly toasting the Keto bread after microwaving also helps to remove the eggy taste. Irony is that I then slap on a fried egg after the Otah Tuna spread BUT fried egg is a different format and tastes good anywhere :).
Anyway, feel free to try this out. Quick, easy and affordable so if you find it vile, it won’t be too much wastage of effort and money. Let me know what you paired it with and how awesome (or gross) it turned out. Keep safe and healthy, my friends!
90 Second Low Carb Keto Bread Recipe
(adapted from https://gimmedelicious.com/90-second-keto-bread/)
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed meal (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 1 medium/large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Lakanto monkfruit sweetener or other sugar substitute (optional)
- Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl or ramekin. Add the almond flour, flaxseed meal, egg, baking powder and sugar substitute to the butter. Beat with a fork until completely mixed.
- Microwave for about 90 seconds, until firm. Run a knife along the edge and flip over a plate to release. Slice in half, then toast in the toaster, airfryer or heat on pan over stove.
Serving: 1bread | Calories: 220kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 101mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 350IU | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 0.8mg